Leche Flan (Spanish) which literally translates to milk pudding is a classic, well-loved dessert from the Philippines. It is usually steamed but this recipe is oven-baked. Still, the result is that soft, creamy, melts-in-your mouth texture. The success lies in the perfect timing of removing it from the oven and allowing the remaining heat to cook the flan. It is the perfect thing to cook after the Pavlova because of the unused egg yolks of the meringue-based dessert.
Ingredients for the custard:
10 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh milk
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
3/4 cups brown sugar
For the toppings: (Optional)
Or any citrus fruit
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
2. In a small saucepan over low heat, dissolve the sugar until it is caramelized into a golden brown syrup. Carefully transfer into your baking pan covering its entire bottom.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream together the egg yolks and both the condensed and fresh milk. Add the lemon zest.
4. Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking pan with the caramelized sugar and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for at least 45 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let it cool.
6. Transfer to a serving platter by flipping the baking pan upside down. Top with you fruit of choice.